Pancake Day very much ignited my enthusiasm for pancakes and crepes! Here’s a savoury pancake recipe, which uses spinach and ricotta. Delicious served with salad, or boiled new potatoes and green beans.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
- 110g plain flour, sifted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 250ml milk
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 250g spinach
- 250g ricotta
- 1 lemon, zested
- 50g Parmesan, grated
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C.
- To make the pancakes, sift the flour into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the beaten egg. Beat the egg into the flour with a fork and add the milk gradually. Heat a knob of butter in a frying pan and pour in the pancake mixture until it covers the bottom of the pan. When the underside is golden, flip the pancake. Repeat to make eight pancakes.
- Fry the onions in a knob of butter in a large pan until soft.
- Add the garlic and spinach and cook until the spinach is completely wilted. Leave to cool.
- Mix in the ricotta, lemon zest and half the Parmesan and season.
- Spread one-third of the sauce on the bottom of a baking dish.
- Divide another third of the mixture between eight pancakes and roll each one up to make an evenly filled tube.
- Sit the pancakes side by side in the dish (like cannelloni). Pour the remaining third of the sauce over the pancakes.
- Sprinkle over the rest of the Parmesan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the cheese is golden.
Photo: Fahara F