On those cold, clear autumn mornings, you can’t beat a bowl of porridge. It’s so warming and comforting, yet so simple to make. Here’s a tried and tested recipe with a few suggestions for toppings.
Preparation time: 2 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 2 cups of milk (use part water for a less creamy texture)
- Put the oats into a large saucepan.
- Pour the milk (and water) over the oats and stir well.
- Bring to the boil, stirring to make sure the oats don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Simmer for five minutes until thickened.
- Pour into bowls to serve and add the topping of your choice.
Why not try some of the following toppings: brown sugar, banana and cinnamon, honey and yoghurt, maple syrup, a handful of dried fruit (sultanas, apricots, cranberries), or fresh fruit (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries). Get creative!
If you have any other favourites, please feel free to share them below.