Apple and mincemeat crumble
Mincemeat is definitely an underrated ingredient. If you’re bored with traditional mince pies, try this crumble, which offers a new take on an old festive favourite. Delicious served with a generous spoon of custard or ice cream.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- 400g apples
- 450g mincemeat
- Juice of an orange
- 100g plain flour
- 75g butter
- 50g demerara sugar
- 1tsp cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 200˚C.
- Slice the apples thinly and lay them in an overproof dish.
- Stir in the mincemeat and orange juice.
- In a separate bowl, rub in the flour, butter, sugar and cinnamon to make the crumble.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the apples and mincemeat.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until crisp on top.
Photo: raspberri cupcakes
This is a hearty, warming dish – great for those cold winter days. You can use any mixture of vegetables and beans. I like to serve the crumble with green vegetables or salad.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
- 200g carrots
- 200g parsnips
- 200g swede
- 350g leeks
- 410g can butter or cannellini beans
- 2tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 2tsp cornflour
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 75g butter
- 150g plain white flour
- 1tbsp sesame seeds
- 1tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2tsp cumin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Peel and dice the carrots, parsnips and swede.
- Put the vegetables into a large pan and boil for 5 mins.
- Slice the leeks. Add to the boiling water and cook for another 5 mins.
- Remove the vegetables with a draining spoon and leave the hot water in the saucepan. Transfer the vegetables to an ovenproof dish.
- Rinse and drain the beans and add them to the vegetables.
- Whisk the bouillon powder into the cooking water and bring to the boil.
- Mix the cornflour with a tablespoon of water, add to the hot stock and whisk over the heat to thicken the sauce. Season well and pour over the vegetables.
- To make the topping, rub the fat into the flour. Rub to fine crumbs, then bind it together, as if making pastry.
- Spoon the crumble over the vegetables in the dish.
- Sprinkle with the seeds.
- Bake for 40 mins until browning.
Photo: Pim Techamuanvivit