This summer may be proving a bit of a washout, but you can still manage the odd barbecue between the inevitable cloud bursts! After last week’s post about vegetarian barbecues, I thought I’d share this recipe for tasty Mexican bean burgers.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time:10 mins
- 2 cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- small bunch coriander, stalks and leaves chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp fresh salsa
- salt and pepper
- Tip the beans into a large bowl, then crush roughly with a fork.
- Add the breadcrumbs, chilli powder, coriander, egg and salsa.
- Season to taste, then mix together with a fork.
- Divide the mixture into six and shape into burgers.
- Now they’re ready to stick on the barbecue. They should take about 5 minutes on each side until golden and crisp.
I like to serve these in fresh granary rolls with corn on the cob and a couple of vegetable kebabs. Just spear slices of courgette, pepper, mushroom and halloumi, sprinkle with paprika, drizzle with olive oil and grill on the barbecue for five minutes. Yum!