This has to be my favourite cake of all time! It’s wonderfully simple and fruity, with a soft, moist texture and hints of cinnamon. Ideal if you have a bunch of bananas which are starting to go soft.
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 can crushed pineapple
- 1 1/2 tsps vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 2 medium bananas, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, sugar, and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the oil, pineapple, vanilla, eggs, and banana.
- Mix by hand until well blended.
- Pour into a greased and floured tin.
- Bake for 1hr 30. Set aside to cool.
- When cooled, dust with a light layer of icing sugar.
Photo: Jen Steele