Welsh rarebit is quick and easy to make and is perfect as a snack or a light lunch. This traditional Welsh dish is delicious served with some crispy salad leaves and a tasty dressing.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
- 50g flour
- 50g butter
- 250ml beer or ale, warmed
- 250g cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tsp English mustard
- Black pepper
- 4 large slices granary bread
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and make a roux with the flour. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring to prevent the roux from burning.
- Stir in the warm beer gradually, until you have a thick, smooth sauce.
- Add the grated cheese and stir until melted. You should now have a thick paste.
- Mix in the mustard and season well with black pepper.
- Lightly toast and butter the bread, then pile up the cheesy mixture on each slice.
- Cook under a hot grill for a few minutes, until browned and bubbling.
Photo: Tristan Kenney