It’s so comforting to snuggle up with a nice, warm bowl of soup and some fresh, crusty bread in the winter, as you listen to the rain pouring down outside. This is one of my favourite recipes.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 140g red split lentils
- 850ml vegetable stock
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 200g chickpeas
- A small bunch of coriander, roughly chopped (save a few leaves to serve)
- 4 tbsp Greek yogurt, to serve
- Heat a large saucepan and dry-fry the cumin seeds and chilli flakes for about a minute.
- Add the oil and onion and cook for 5 mins.
- Stir in the lentils, stock and tomatoes, then bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 15 mins, until the lentils have softened.
- Blend in a food processor to create a rough purée.
- Pour back into the pan and add the chickpeas.
- Heat gently, season well and stir in the coriander.
- Finish with a spoon of yogurt and sprinkle the remaining coriander leaves on top to serve.
Now snuggle up and enjoy…