It’s the trimmings that make Christmas dinner that extra bit special. Here’s an unusual recipe for apricot and chestnut stuffing – a sophisticated accompaniment for any vegetarian main.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- 600ml water
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 225g pre-soaked dried apricots, chopped into small pieces
- 225g white breadcrumbs
- 75g butter
- 225g frozen chestnuts, thawed, roughly chopped
- Handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200oC
- Butter a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Measure the water into a pan; add the onion and apricot and bring to the boil.
- Boil for about five minutes and drain.
- Put the breadcrumbs into a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a pan and pour half of this on to the breadcrumbs.
- Add the remaining butter to a frying pan and fry the chestnuts over a high heat until lightly browned.
- Tip into the bowl with the breadcrumbs.
- Add the apricots, onion and parsley to the bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn into a buttered, shallow ovenproof dish and bake in a preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes until crisp and hot right through.
Photo: Julie Weatherbee