This is a hearty, warming dish – great for those cold winter days. You can use any mixture of vegetables and beans. I like to serve the crumble with green vegetables or salad.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
- 200g carrots
- 200g parsnips
- 200g swede
- 350g leeks
- 410g can butter or cannellini beans
- 2tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 2tsp cornflour
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 75g butter
- 150g plain white flour
- 1tbsp sesame seeds
- 1tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2tsp cumin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Peel and dice the carrots, parsnips and swede.
- Put the vegetables into a large pan and boil for 5 mins.
- Slice the leeks. Add to the boiling water and cook for another 5 mins.
- Remove the vegetables with a draining spoon and leave the hot water in the saucepan. Transfer the vegetables to an ovenproof dish.
- Rinse and drain the beans and add them to the vegetables.
- Whisk the bouillon powder into the cooking water and bring to the boil.
- Mix the cornflour with a tablespoon of water, add to the hot stock and whisk over the heat to thicken the sauce. Season well and pour over the vegetables.
- To make the topping, rub the fat into the flour. Rub to fine crumbs, then bind it together, as if making pastry.
- Spoon the crumble over the vegetables in the dish.
- Sprinkle with the seeds.
- Bake for 40 mins until browning.
Photo: Pim Techamuanvivit